Re: Hot Backup with rsync fails at pg_clog if under load

From: Linas Virbalas <linas(dot)virbalas(at)continuent(dot)com>
To: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot Backup with rsync fails at pg_clog if under load
Date: 2011-09-29 15:44:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Linas, could you capture the output of pg_controldata *and* increase the
> log level to DEBUG1 on the standby? We should then see nextXid value of
> the checkpoint the recovery is starting from.

I'll try to do that whenever I'm in that territory again... Incidentally,
recently there was a lot of unrelated-to-this-post work to polish things up
for a talk being given at PGWest 2011 Today :)

> I also checked what rsync does when a file vanishes after rsync computed the
> file list, but before it is sent. rsync 3.0.7 on OSX, at least, complains
> loudly, and doesn't sync the file. It BTW also exits non-zero, with a special
> exit code for precisely that failure case.

To be precise, my script has logic to accept the exit code 24, just as
stated in PG manual:

Docs> For example, some versions of rsync return a separate exit code for
Docs> "vanished source files", and you can write a driver script to accept
Docs> this exit code as a non-error case.

--
Sincerely,
Linas Virbalas