Re: PQexec() hangs on OOM

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PQexec() hangs on OOM
Date: 2015-10-10 12:06:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 10:44 AM, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com
> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 11:32 PM, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > IIRC, this is required to sanely report "out of memory" error in case
> > of replication protocol (master-standby setup). This loop and
in-particular
> > this check is quite similar to PQexecFinish() functions check and loop
> > where we return last result. I think it is better to keep both the
places
> > in-sync
> > and also I think this is required to report the error appropriately. I
have
> > tried manual debugging for the out of memory error for this case and
> > it works well with this check and without the check it doesn't report
> > the error in an appropriate way(don't remember exactly what was
> > the difference). If required, I can again try to reproduce the scenario
> > and share the exact report.
>
> I just had a look at that again... Put for example a call to pg_usleep in
libpqrcv_identify_system after executing IDENTIFY_SYSTEM and before calling
PQresultStatus, then take a breakpoint on the WAL receiver process when
starting up a standby. This gives plenty of room to emulate the OOM failure
in getCopyStart. When the check on PGRES_FATAL_ERROR is not added and when
emulating the OOM immediately, libpqrcv_PQexec loops twice and thinks it
can start up strrep but fails afterwards. Here is the failure seen from the
standby:
> LOG: started streaming WAL from primary at 0/3000000 on timeline 1
> FATAL: could not send data to WAL stream: server closed the connection
unexpectedly
> And from the master:
> LOG: unexpected EOF on standby connection
> The WAL receiver process ultimately restarts after.
>
> When the check on PGRES_FATAL_ERROR is added, strrep fails to start
appropriately and the error is fetched correctly by the WAL receiver:
> FATAL: could not start WAL streaming: out of memory
>
> In short: Amit seems right to have added this check.

Okay, in that case, you can revert that change in your first patch and
then that patch will be Ready for committer.

In second patch [1], the handling is to continue on error as below:

- if (getParamDescriptions(conn))

+ if (getParamDescriptions(conn, msgLength))

return;

- break;

+ /* getParamDescriptions() moves inStart itself */

+ continue;

Now, assume there is "out of memory" error in getParamDescription(),
the next message is 'T' which leads to a call to getRowDescriptions()
and in that function if there is an error in below part of code, then I
think it will just overwrite the previous "out of memory" error (I have
tried by manual debugging and forcefully generating the below error):

getRowDescriptions()

{

..

if (pqGetInt(&(result->numAttributes), 2, conn))

{

/* We should not run out of data here, so complain */

errmsg = libpq_gettext("insufficient data in \"T\" message");

goto advance_and_error;

}
..
}

Here, the point to note is that for similar handling of error from
getRowDescriptions(), we just skip the consecutive 'D' messages
by checking resultStatus.

I think overwriting of error for this case is not the right behaviour.

[1] - 0002-Fix-OOM-error-handling-in-BIND-protocol-of-libpq-2.patch

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.