Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication
Date: 2022-03-24 02:58:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 4:11 AM Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> On 3/21/22 12:28, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 8:13 PM Tomas Vondra
> > <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Ah, thanks for reminding me - it's hard to keep track of all the issues
> >> in threads as long as this one.
> >>
> >> BTW do you have any opinion on the SET COLUMNS syntax? Peter Smith
> >> proposed to get rid of it in [1] but I'm not sure that's a good idea.
> >> Because if we ditch it, then removing the column list would look like this:
> >>
> >> ALTER PUBLICATION pub ALTER TABLE tab;
> >>
> >> And if we happen to add other per-table options, this would become
> >> pretty ambiguous.
> >>
> >> Actually, do we even want to allow resetting column lists like this? We
> >> don't allow this for row filters, so if you want to change a row filter
> >> you have to re-add the table, right?
> >>

> > We can use syntax like: "alter publication pub1 set table t1 where (c2
> >> 10);" to reset the existing row filter. It seems similar thing works
> > for column list as well ("alter publication pub1 set table t1 (c2)
> > where (c2 > 10)"). If I am not missing anything, I don't think we need
> > additional Alter Table syntax.
> >
> >> So maybe we should just ditch ALTER
> >> TABLE entirely.
> >>

> > Yeah, I agree especially if my above understanding is correct.
> >

> I think there's a gotcha that
>
> ALTER PUBLICATION pub SET TABLE t ...
>
> also removes all other relations from the publication, and it removes
> and re-adds the table anyway. So I'm not sure what's the advantage?

I think it could be used when the user has fewer tables and she wants
to change the list of published tables or their row/column filters. I
am not sure of the value of this to users but this was a pre-existing
syntax.

> Anyway, I don't see why we would need such ALTER TABLE only for column
> filters and not for row filters - either we need to allow this for both
> options or none of them.

+1. I think for now we can leave this new ALTER TABLE syntax and do it
for both column and row filters together.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.