Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.
Date: 2015-11-15 06:39:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 1:12 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 09:03:49AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > I think in that case we can call it as page info map or page state map,
but
> > I find retaining visibility map name in this case or for future (if we
want to
> > add another bit) as confusing. In-fact if you find "visibility and
freeze
> > map",
> > as excessively long, then we can change it to "page info map" or "page
state
> > map" now as well.
>
> Coming in late here, but the problem with "page info map" is that free
> space is also page info (how much free space on each page), so "page
> info map" isn't very descriptive. "page status" or "page state" might
> make more sense, but even then, free space is a kind of page
> status/state. What is happening is that broadening the name to cover
> both visibility and freeze state also encompasses free space.

Valid point, but I think free space map is a specific information of page
stored in a completely different format. "page info"/"page state" map
could contain information about multiple states of page in same format.
There is yet another option of changing it Visibility and Freeze map and
or change file extension to vfm, but Robert felt that is rather long name
and I also agree with him.

Do you see retaining the visibility map as better option ?

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.