Re: Parallel INSERT (INTO ... SELECT ...)

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel INSERT (INTO ... SELECT ...)
Date: 2020-10-16 04:44:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 6:13 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 9:56 AM Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > Also, I'm seeing a partition-related error when running
> > installcheck-world - I'm investigating that.
> >

> Okay.

The attached patch fixes this partition case for me. Basically, we
need to check the parallel-safety of PartitionKey. I have only checked
for partsupfunc but I think we need to check the parallel-safety of
partexprs as well. Also, I noticed that you have allowed for
parallelism only when all expressions/functions involved with Insert
are parallel-safe, can't we allow parallel-restricted case because
anyway Inserts have to be performed by the leader for this patch.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
fix_paratition_failure_1.patch application/octet-stream 967 bytes