Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes
Date: 2022-05-12 11:10:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 2:25 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 2:02 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> > > Thanks for pulling this together.
> > >
> > > + Allow logical replication to transfer sequence changes
> > >
> > > I believe this was reverted in 2c7ea57e5, unless some other parts of this
> > > work made it in.
> >
> > Yes, sorry, I missed that. Oddly, the unlogged sequence patch was
> > retained, even though there is no value for it on the primary. I
> > removed the sentence that mentioned that benefit from the release notes
> > since it doesn't apply to PG 15 anymore.
> >

> + Create unlogged sequences and allow them to be skipped in logical replication
>
> Is it right to say the second part of the sentence: "allow them to be
> skipped in logical replication" when we are not replicating them in
> the first place?

One more point related to logical replication features:

Add SQL functions to monitor the directory contents of replication
slots (Bharath Rupireddy)

Specifically, the functions are pg_ls_logicalsnapdir(),
pg_ls_logicalmapdir(), and pg_ls_replslotdir(). They can be run by
members of the predefined pg_monitor role.

This feature is currently under the section "Streaming Replication and
Recovery". Shouldn't it be under "Logical Replication"? The function
names themselves seem to indicate that they are used for logical
replication contents. I think the replication slot-related function
would fall under both categories but overall it seems to belong to the
"Logical Replication" section.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.