Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera from 2ndQuadrant <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files
Date: 2019-11-18 12:22:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 5:20 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 4:48 PM Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 at 12:24, Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > > Probably, for now at least, what everyone seems to agree is to take my
> > > earlier attached patch forward.
> > >
> > > I am going to see if I can add a TAP test for the patch, and will add
> > > the patch into the commitfest soon.
> >
> > Attached is an updated patch v2.
> >

> I see that you have made changes in ReorderBufferRestoreChanges to use
> PathNameOpenFile, but not in ReorderBufferSerializeTXN. Is there a
> reason for the same?

I have one more question regarding this patch. It seems to me that
the files opened via OpenTransientFile or OpenTemporaryFile are
automatically closed at transaction end(abort), but that doesn't seem
to be the case for files opened with PathNameOpenFile. See
AtEOXact_Files and AtEOSubXact_Files. So, now with the change
proposed by this patch, don't we need to deal it in some other way?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.