Re: wait events for disk I/O

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: wait events for disk I/O
Date: 2017-03-08 02:32:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 9:16 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 9:09 PM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Sure, if you think both Writes and Reads at OS level can have some
>> chance of blocking in obscure cases, then we should add a wait event
>> for them.
>
> I think writes have a chance of blocking in cases even in cases that
> are not very obscure at all.

Point taken for writes, but I think in general we should have some
criteria based on which we can decide whether to have a wait event for
a particular call. It should not happen that we have tons of wait
events and out of which, only a few are helpful in most of the cases
in real-world scenarios.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.