Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2
Date: 2023-07-24 06:31:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 8:22 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> OK, I merged the changes into the patches, with some minor changes to
> the wording etc.

I think we can do 0001-Make-test_decoding-ddl.out-shorter-20230720
even without the rest of the patches. Isn't it a separate improvement?

I see that origin filtering (origin=none) doesn't work with this
patch. You can see this by using the following statements:
Node-1:
postgres=# create sequence s;
CREATE SEQUENCE
postgres=# create publication mypub for all sequences;
CREATE PUBLICATION

Node-2:
postgres=# create sequence s;
CREATE SEQUENCE
postgres=# create subscription mysub_sub connection '....' publication
mypub with (origin=none);
NOTICE: created replication slot "mysub_sub" on publisher
CREATE SUBSCRIPTION
postgres=# create publication mypub_sub for all sequences;
CREATE PUBLICATION

Node-1:
create subscription mysub_pub connection '...' publication mypub_sub
with (origin=none);
NOTICE: created replication slot "mysub_pub" on publisher
CREATE SUBSCRIPTION

SELECT nextval('s') FROM generate_series(1,100);

After that, you can check on the subscriber that sequences values are
overridden with older values:
postgres=# select * from s;
last_value | log_cnt | is_called
------------+---------+-----------
67 | 0 | t
(1 row)
postgres=# select * from s;
last_value | log_cnt | is_called
------------+---------+-----------
100 | 0 | t
(1 row)
postgres=# select * from s;
last_value | log_cnt | is_called
------------+---------+-----------
133 | 0 | t
(1 row)
postgres=# select * from s;
last_value | log_cnt | is_called
67 | 0 | t
(1 row)

I haven't verified all the details but I think that is because we
don't set XLOG_INCLUDE_ORIGIN while logging sequence values.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.