Re: Resetting spilled txn statistics in pg_stat_replication

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Resetting spilled txn statistics in pg_stat_replication
Date: 2020-10-23 03:29:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 7:42 AM Masahiko Sawada
<masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> > > Thank you for the patch.
> > >
> > > - logical decoding exceeds
> > > <literal>logical_decoding_work_mem</literal>. The
> > > - counter gets incremented both for toplevel transactions and
> > > - subtransactions.
> > > + logical decoding of changes from WAL for this exceeds
> > > + <literal>logical_decoding_work_mem</literal>. The counter gets
> > > + incremented both for toplevel transactions and subtransactions.
> > >
> > > What is the word "this" in the above change referring to?
> > >

> > 'slot'. The word *slot* is missing in the sentence.
> >
> > > How about
> > > something like:
> > >

> > > Number of transactions spilled to disk after the memory used by
> > > logical decoding of changes from WAL exceeding
> > > logical_decoding_work_mem. The counter gets incremented both for
> > > toplevel transactions and subtransactions.
> > >

> > /exceeding/exceeds. I am fine with your proposed text as well but if
> > you like the above after correction that would be better because it
> > would be more close to spill_count description.
>
> yeah, I agree with the correction.

Okay, thanks, attached is an updated patch. I'll push this early next
week unless you or someone else has any comments/suggestions.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Update-description-of-spilled-counters-in-pg_stat.patch application/octet-stream 2.0 KB