Re: Add pgstathashindex() to get hash index table statistics.

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh(dot)2007(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add pgstathashindex() to get hash index table statistics.
Date: 2017-03-25 05:32:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 11:24 PM, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,

>>> +1. If we consider some more names for that column then probably one
>>> alternative could be "empty pages".
>>
>> Yeah, but I think "unused" might be better. Because a page could be
>> in use (as an overflow page or primary bucket page) and still be
>> empty.
>>

> Based on the earlier discussions, I have prepared a patch that would
> allow pgstathashindex() to show the number of unused pages in hash
> index. Please find the attached patch for the same. Thanks.

else if (opaque->hasho_flag & LH_BITMAP_PAGE)
stats.bitmap_pages++;
+ else if (PageIsEmpty(page))
+ stats.unused_pages++;

I think having this check after PageIsNew() makes more sense then
having at the place where you currently have, other than that
code-wise your patch looks okay, although I haven't tested it.

I think this should also be tracked under PostgreSQL 10 open items,
but as this is not directly a bug, so not sure, what do others think?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.