Re: NOT NULL constraints on range partition key columns

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: NOT NULL constraints on range partition key columns
Date: 2017-05-15 13:12:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Amit Langote
<Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> Starting a new thread to discuss the proposal I put forward in [1] to stop
> creating explicit NOT NULL constraint on range partition keys that are
> simple columns. I said the following:
>
> On 2017/05/12 11:20, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 10:15 PM, Amit Langote
>> <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think the relevant discussion concluded [1] that way, because we
>>> couldn't decide which interface to provide for specifying where NULLs are
>>> placed or because we decided to think about it later.
>>
>> Yeah, but I have a feeling that marking the columns NOT NULL is going
>> to make it really hard to support that in the future when we get the
>> syntax hammered out. If it had only affected the partition
>> constraints that'd be different.
>
> So, adding keycol IS NOT NULL (like we currently do for expressions) in
> the implicit partition constraint would be more future-proof than
> generating an actual catalogued NOT NULL constraint on the keycol? I now
> tend to think it would be better. Directly inserting into a range
> partition with a NULL value for a column currently generates a "null value
> in column \"%s\" violates not-null constraint" instead of perhaps more
> relevant "new row for relation \"%s\" violates partition constraint".
> That said, we *do* document the fact that a NOT NULL constraint is added
> on range key columns, but we might as well document instead that we don't
> currently support routing tuples with NULL values in the partition key
> through a range-partitioned table and so NULL values cause error.

Can't we allow NULL to get inserted into the partition (leaf
partition) if the user uses the partition name in Insert statement?
For root partitions, I think for now giving an error is okay, but once
we have default partitions (Rahila's patch), we can route NULLS to
default partition.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.