Re: Parallel Index Scans

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Anastasia Lubennikova <lubennikovaav(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed(dot)90(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Parallel Index Scans
Date: 2017-03-06 13:46:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 6:49 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 6:33 AM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> I was going to do it after index and index-only scans and parallel
> bitmap heap scan were committed, but I've been holding off on
> committing parallel bitmap heap scan waiting for Andres to fix the
> simplehash regressions, so maybe I should just go do an update now and
> another one later once that goes in.

As you wish, but one point to note is that as of now parallelism for
index scans can be influenced by table level parameter
parallel_workers. It sounds slightly awkward, but if we want to keep
that way, then maybe we can update the docs to indicate the same.
Another option is to have a separate parameter for index scans.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.