Re: PG compilation error with Visual Studio 2015/2017/2019

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Ranier Vilela <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com>, davinder singh <davindersingh2692(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG compilation error with Visual Studio 2015/2017/2019
Date: 2020-04-29 12:32:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 4:50 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I think we should backpatch this till 9.5 as I could see the changes
> made by commit 0fb54de9 to support MSVC2015 are present in that branch
> and the same is mentioned in the commit message.

Today, I was thinking about the pros and cons of backpatching this.
The pros are that this is bug-fix and is reported multiple times so it
is good to backpatch it. The cons are the code in the back branches
is not very straight forward and this change will make it a bit more
complicated, so we might want to do it only in HEAD. I am not
completely sure about this. What do others think?

Michael, others who have worked in this area, do you have any opinion
on this matter?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.