Re: dropdb --force

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ryan Lambert <ryan(at)rustprooflabs(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Anthony Nowocien <anowocien(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Filip Rembiałkowski <filip(dot)rembialkowski(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: dropdb --force
Date: 2019-10-23 07:29:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 4:51 PM Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> út 22. 10. 2019 v 5:09 odesílatel Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> napsal:
>>

>> CountOtherDBBackends is called from other places as well, so I don't
>> think it is advisable to change the sleep time in that function.
>> Also, I don't want to add a parameter for it. I think you have a
>> point that in some cases we might end up sleeping for 100ms when we
>> could do with less sleeping time, but I think it is true to some
>> extent today as well. I think we can anyway change it in the future
>> if there is a problem with the sleep timing, but for now, I think we
>> can just call CountOtherDBBackends after sending SIGTERM and call it
>> good. You might want to add a futuristic note in the code.
>>

> ok.
>
> I removed sleeping from TerminateOtherDBBackends().
>
> If you want to change any logic there, please, do it without any hesitations. Maybe I don't see, what you think.

Fair enough, I will see if I need to change anything. In the
meantime, can you look into thread related to CountDBSubscriptions[1]?
I think the problem reported there will be more serious after your
patch, so it is better if we can fix it before this patch.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1%2BqhLkCYG2oy9xug9ur_j%3DG2wQNRYAyd%2B-kZfZ1z42pLw%40mail.gmail.com

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.