Re: four minor proposals for 9.5

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)dalibo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: four minor proposals for 9.5
Date: 2014-04-08 04:27:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 12:16 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Yes. Initially I though only about cancelled queries, but now O am thinking
> so some more wide solution can be better. Sometimes - some long queries can
> be stopped by Postgres, or by system - and info about duration can be same
> usefull.

Right.

>> One more thing I think currently also we can find that by crude way
>> (pg_stat_activity has query_start time and log_line_prefix has end time),
>> but I think the having in one place 'log' will be more useful.
> ??

I just wanted to say that if someone wants to calculate the duration
of cancelled query (or other error'd query), you can do that by checking
the start time from pg_stat_activity and end time from log (using
log_line_prefix), but this is of course cumbersome.

>> > Same technique I would to
>> > use for printing lock time - it can be printing instead symbol %L.
>>
>> Above you have mentioned that you are planing to have three different
>> lock times (Table, Tuple and others), so will this one symbol (%L) enable
>> all three lock times?
>

> My idea is start with %L as total lock time, what is useful for wide group
> of users, and next or in same time we can enhance it with two chars prefix
> symbols

So do you want to just print lock time for error'd statements, won't
it better to
do it for non-error'd statements as well or rather I feel it can be more useful
for non-error statements? Do we already have some easy way to get wait-time
for non-error statements?

> so
>
> %L .. total lock time
> %Lr .. lock relation
> %Lt .. lock tuples
> %Lo .. lock others
>
> L = Lr + Lt + Lr
>

>> Are you planing to add new logs for logging this or planing to use
>> existing
>> infrastructure?
>

> I have not a prototype yet, so I don't know what will be necessary

Okay, I think then it's better to discuss after your initial analysis/
prototype, but I think you might need to add some infrastructure code
to make it possible, as lock database object (relation, tuple, ..) and lock
others (buffers, ..) have different locking strategy, so to get total wait time
for a statement due to different kind of locks you need to accumulate
different wait times.

>> One general point is that won't it be bit difficult to parse the log line
>> having
>> so many times, should we consider to log with some special marker for
>> each time (for example: tup_lock_wait_time:1000ms).
>

> We should to optimize a log_line_prefix processing instead.
>
> Proposed options are interesting for "enterprise" using, when you have a
> some more smart tools for log entry processing, and when you need a complex
> view about performance of billions queries - when cancel time and lock time
> is important piece in mosaic of server' fitness.

Exactly, though this might not be directly related to this patch, but having
it would be useful.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.