Re: Proposal : For Auto-Prewarm.

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Cc: Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal : For Auto-Prewarm.
Date: 2016-10-28 07:29:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 1:45 AM, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com> wrote:
> On 10/27/16 6:39 AM, Mithun Cy wrote:
>>
>> # pg_autoprewarm.
>

> IMO it would be better to add this functionality to pg_prewarm instead of
> creating another contrib module.

There is not much common functionality between the two. The main job
of this feature is to dump the contents of shared buffers and reload
them at startup and it takes care for not over ridding the existing
shared buffer contents while reloading the dump file. This is
somewhat different to what prewarm provides which is to load the
relation blocks in memory or buffers, it has nothing to do with prior
shared buffer contents. So, I am not sure if it is good idea to add
it as a functionality with prewarm module. OTOH, if more people want
that way, then as such there is no harm in doing that way.

One point that seems to be worth discussing is when should the buffer
information be dumped to a file? Shall we dump at each checkpoint or
at regular intervals via auto prewarm worker or at some other time?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.