Re: sidewinder has one failure

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Mikael Kjellström <mikael(dot)kjellstrom(at)mksoft(dot)nu>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: sidewinder has one failure
Date: 2020-01-05 03:58:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 8:30 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
>
> > I generally favor keeping the test, but feel free to decide it's too hard.
>
> I remain dubious that it's worth the trouble, or indeed that the test
> would prove anything of interest.

I think we don't have any tests which test operating on many spill
files which this test does leaving aside the part of the test which
tests max open descriptors. We do have some tests related to spill
files in contrib/spill/test_decoding/spill.sql, but I don't see any
which tests with this many open spill files. Now, maybe it is not
important to test that, but I think we should wait till we find out
why this test failed on 'tern' and that too only in v10. It might
turn out that it has revealed some actual code issue(either in what
got committed or some base code). In either case, it might turn out
to be useful. So, we might decide to remove setting
max_files_per_process, but leave the test as it is. I am also not
sure what is the right thing to do here, but it is clear that if we
remove this test we won't be able to figure what went wrong on 'tern'.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.