Re: INSERT INTO SELECT, Why Parallelism is not selected?

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: INSERT INTO SELECT, Why Parallelism is not selected?
Date: 2020-07-15 02:36:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 12:32 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 8:37 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > I have just notice that the parallelism is off even for the select
> > part of the query mentioned in the $subject. I see the only reason it
> > is not getting parallel because we block the parallelism if the query
> > type is not SELECT. I don't see any reason for not selecting the
> > parallelism for this query.
>
> There's a relevant comment near the top of heap_prepare_insert().

I think that is no longer true after commits 85f6b49c2c and 3ba59ccc89
where we have allowed relation extension and page locks to conflict
among group members. We have accordingly changed comments at a few
places but forgot to update this one. I will check and see if any
other similar comments are there which needs to be updated.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.