Re: Single transaction in the tablesync worker?

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Single transaction in the tablesync worker?
Date: 2021-02-05 08:51:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 12:36 PM osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com
<osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> We need to add some tests to prove the new checks of AlterSubscription() work.
> I chose TAP tests as we need to set connect = true for the subscription.
> When it can contribute to the development, please utilize this.
> I used v28 to check my patch and works as we expect.

Thanks for writing the tests but I don't understand why you need to
set connect = true for this test? I have tried below '... with connect
= false' and it seems to be working:
postgres=# CREATE SUBSCRIPTION mysub
postgres-# CONNECTION 'host=localhost port=5432 dbname=postgres'
postgres-# PUBLICATION mypublication WITH (connect = false);
WARNING: tables were not subscribed, you will have to run ALTER
SUBSCRIPTION ... REFRESH PUBLICATION to subscribe the tables
CREATE SUBSCRIPTION
postgres=# Begin;
BEGIN
postgres=*# Alter Subscription mysub Refresh Publication;
ERROR: ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ... REFRESH is not allowed for disabled subscriptions

So, if possible lets write this test in src/test/regress/sql/subscription.sql.

I have another idea for a test case: What if we write a test such that
it fails PK violation on copy and then drop the subscription. Then
check there shouldn't be any dangling slot on the publisher? This is
similar to a test in subscription/t/004_sync.pl, we can use some of
that framework but have a separate test for this.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.