Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Greg S <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.
Date: 2015-11-13 04:44:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 4:48 AM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Thank you for reviewing the patch.
>
> I changed the patch so that the visibility map become the page info
> map, in source code and documentation.

One thing to notice is that this almost doubles the patch size which
might makes it slightly difficult to review, but on the other hand if
no-body opposes for such a change, this seems to be the right direction.

> And fixed review comments I received.
> Attached v22 patch.
>
> > I think both the above cases could happen for frozen state
> > as well, unless you think otherwise, we need similar handling
> > for frozen bit.
>
> It's not happen the situation where is all-frozen and not all-visible,
> and the bits of visibility map are cleared at the same time, page
> flags are as well.
> So I think it's enough to handle only all-visible situation. Am I
>
> missing something?

No, I think you are right as information for both is cleared together
and all-visible is superset of all-frozen (means if all-frozen is set,
then all-visible must be set), so it is sufficient to check visibility
info in above situation, but I feel we can update the comment to
indicate the same and add an Assert to ensure if all-frozen is set
all-visibile must be set.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.