Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of large in-progress transactions

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: logical_work_mem and logical streaming of large in-progress transactions
Date: 2019-09-25 13:25:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 4:30 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> In the interest of moving things forward, how far are we from making
> 0001 committable? If I understand correctly, the rest of this patchset
> depends on https://commitfest.postgresql.org/24/944/ which seems to be
> moving at a glacial pace (or, actually, slower, because glaciers do
> move, which cannot be said of that other patch.)

I am not sure if it is completely correct that the other part of the
patch is dependent on that CF entry. I have studied both the threads
(not every detail) and it seems to me it is dependent on one of the
patches from that series which handles concurrent aborts. It is patch
0003-Gracefully-handle-concurrent-aborts-of-uncommitted-t.Jan4.patch
from what the Nikhil has posted on that thread [1]. Am, I wrong?

So IIUC, the problem of concurrent aborts is that if we allow catalog
scans for in-progress transactions, then we might get wrong answers in
cases where somebody has performed Alter-Abort-Alter which is clearly
explained with an example in email [2]. To solve that problem Nikhil
seems to have written a patch [1] which detects these concurrent
aborts during a system table scan and then aborts the decoding of such
a transaction.

Now, the problem is that patch has written considering 2PC
transactions and might not deal with all cases for in-progress
transactions especially when sub-transactions are involved as alluded
by Arseny Sher [3]. So, the problem seems to be for cases when some
sub-transaction aborts, but the main transaction still continued and
we try to decode it. Nikhil's patch won't be able to deal with it
because I think it just checks top-level xid whereas for this we need
to check all-subxids which I think is possible now as Tomas seems to
have written WAL for each xid-assignment. It might or might not be
the best solution to check the status of all-subxids, but I think
first we need to agree that the problem is just for concurrent aborts
and that we can solve it by using some part of the technology being
developed as part of patch "Logical decoding of two-phase
transactions" (https://commitfest.postgresql.org/24/944/) rather than
the entire patchset.

I hope I am not saying something very obvious here and it helps in
moving this patch forward.

Thoughts?

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMGcDxcBmN6jNeQkgWddfhX8HbSjQpW%3DUo70iBY3P_EPdp%2BLTQ%40mail.gmail.com
[2] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/EEBD82AA-61EE-46F4-845E-05B94168E8F2%40postgrespro.ru