Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Map basebackup tablespaces using a tablespace_map file

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, hlinnaka <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Map basebackup tablespaces using a tablespace_map file
Date: 2015-06-08 15:16:14
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 6:39 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> On 06/08/2015 12:08 AM, Amit Kapila wrote:
>
>> How about if it is just a flat file with same name as tablespace link,
>> why we want to give error for that case? I think now it just don't do
>> anything with that file (unlink will fail with ENOENT and it will be
>> ignored, atleast thats the way currently it behaves in Windows) and
>> create a separate symlink with same name which seems okay to
>> me and in the change proposed by you it will give error, do you see
>> any reason for doing so?
>>

> This is surely wrong. unlink won't fail with ENOENT if the file is
> present; ENOENT means that the file is NOT present. It will succeed if the
> file is present, which is exactly what I'm saying is wrong.

I have to retry that operation, but for me unlink hasn't deleted
the file on Windows, may be I am not doing properly, but in
anycase why we want to throw error for such a case, why
can't we just ignore and create a symlink with the same name.

> I realize our existing code just more or less assumes that that it's a
> symlink. I think we've probably been a bit careless there.

I agree with you that deleting unrelated file with the same name as
symlink is not the right thing to do, but not sure throwing error for
such a case is better either.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.