Re: Resetting spilled txn statistics in pg_stat_replication

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Resetting spilled txn statistics in pg_stat_replication
Date: 2020-07-09 07:09:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 2:20 PM Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

>> > I was thinking option (a) or (b). I'm inclined to option (a) since the
>> > PoC patch added a certain amount of new codes. I agree with you that
>> > it depends on the final patch.
>> >

>> Magnus, Tomas, others, do you have any suggestions on the above
>> options or let us know if you have any other option in mind?
>>

> I have a feeling it's far too late for (b) at this time. Regardless of the size of the patch, it feels that this can end up being a rushed and not thought-through-all-the-way one, in which case we may end up in an even worse position.
>
> Much as I would like to have these stats earlier, I'm also leaning towards (a).

Fair enough. The attached patch reverts the commits related to these
stats. Sawada-San, can you please once see if I have missed anything
apart from catversion bump which I will do before commit?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Revert-Track-statistics-for-spilling-of-changes-from.patch application/octet-stream 12.6 KB