Re: Support logical replication of DDLs

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Zheng Li <zhengli10(at)gmail(dot)com>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, rajesh singarapu <rajesh(dot)rs0541(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Support logical replication of DDLs
Date: 2022-06-24 10:19:24
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 8:10 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 7:00 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 11:09 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I've attached a WIP patch for adding regression tests for DDL deparse.
> > > The patch can be applied on
> > > v9-0001-Functions-to-deparse-DDL-commands.patch Hou recently
> > > submitted[1]. The basic idea is to define the event trigger to deparse
> > > DDLs, run the regression tests, load the deparsed DDLs to another
> > > database cluster, dump both databases, and compare the dumps.
> > >

> > Thanks for working on this. It is a good start. I think this will be
> > helpful to see the missing DDL support. Do we want to run this as part
> > of every regression run? Won't it increase the regression time as this
> > seems to run internally the regression tests twice?
>
> Yes, It will increase the regression test time but we already do a
> similar thing in 002_pg_upgrade.pl and 027_stream_regress.pl and it
> seems to be worth adding to me.

Fair enough. I think here we need to run it twice once before deparse
and once after deparsing whereas those tests seem to be running it one
time. That might not matter much but we can check the timing
difference. I agree that we anyway need something like this to verify
the deparsing code.

> > Do we need a different trigger to capture drop cases as there are
> > separate deparsing routines for them, for example
> > deparse_drop_table()?
>
> Right, we need to capture drop cases by another trigger.

And probably something for alter subcommands as well.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.