Re: Bump default wal_level to logical

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bump default wal_level to logical
Date: 2020-06-08 06:29:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 10:08 AM David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose $subject, as embodied in the attached patch. This
> makes it possible to discover and fulfill a need for logical
> replication that can arise at a time when bouncing the server has
> become impractical, i.e. when there is already high demand on it.

I think we should first do performance testing to see what is the
overhead of making this default. I think pgbench read-write at
various scale factors would be a good starting point. Also, we should
see how much additional WAL it generates as compared to current
default.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.