Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication
Date: 2021-09-15 03:34:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 11:21 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:

> I pushed the clerical part of this -- namely the addition of
> PublicationTable node and PublicationRelInfo struct.

One point to note here is that we are developing a generic grammar for
publications where not only tables but other objects like schema,
sequences, etc. can be specified, see [1]. So, there is some overlap
in the grammar modifications being made by this patch and the work
being done in that other thread. As both the patches are being
developed at the same time, it might be better to be in sync,
otherwise, some of the work needs to be changed. I can see that in the
patch [2] (v28-0002-Added-schema-level-support-for-publication) being
developed there the changes made by the above commit needs to be
changed again to represent a generic object for publication. It is
possible that we can do it some other way but I think it would be
better to coordinate the work in both threads. The other approach is
to continue independently and the later patch can adapt to the earlier
one which is fine too but it might be more work for the later one.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/877603.1629120678%40sss.pgh.pa.us
[2] - postgresql.org/message-id/CALDaNm0OudeDeFN7bSWPro0hgKx%3D1zPgcNFWnvU_G6w3mDPX0Q%40mail.gmail.com

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.