Re: Logical replication timeout problem

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Fabrice Chapuis <fabrice636861(at)gmail(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Logical replication timeout problem
Date: 2023-01-09 05:03:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 6, 2023 at 12:35 PM Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> +
> + /*
> + * We don't want to try sending a keepalive message after processing each
> + * change as that can have overhead. Tests revealed that there is no
> + * noticeable overhead in doing it after continuously processing 100 or so
> + * changes.
> + */
> +#define CHANGES_THRESHOLD 100
>
> I think a time based threashold makes more sense. What if the timeout was
> nearing and those 100 changes just took little more time causing a timeout? We
> already have a time based threashold in WalSndKeepaliveIfNecessary(). And that
> function is invoked after reading every WAL record in WalSndLoop(). So it does
> not look like it's an expensive function. If it is expensive we might want to
> worry about WalSndLoop as well. Does it make more sense to remove this
> threashold?

We have previously tried this for every change [1] and it brings
noticeable overhead. In fact, even doing it for every 10 changes also
had some overhead which is why we reached this threshold number. I
don't think it can lead to timeout due to skipping changes but sure if
we see any such report we can further fine-tune this setting or will
try to make it time-based but for now I feel it would be safe to use
this threshold.

> +
> + /*
> + * After continuously processing CHANGES_THRESHOLD changes, we
> + * try to send a keepalive message if required.
> + */
> + if (++changes_count >= CHANGES_THRESHOLD)
> + {
> + ctx->update_progress(ctx, ctx->write_location, ctx->write_xid, false);
> + changes_count = 0;
> + }
> +}
> +
>
> On the other thread, I mentioned that we don't have a TAP test for it.
> I agree with
> Amit's opinion there that it's hard to create a test which will timeout
> everywhere. I think what we need is a way to control the time required for
> decoding a transaction.
>
> A rough idea is to induce a small sleep after decoding every change. The amount
> of sleep * number of changes will help us estimate and control the amount of
> time taken to decode a transaction. Then we create a transaction which will
> take longer than the timeout threashold to decode. But that's a
> significant code. I
> don't think PostgreSQL has a facility to induce a delay at a particular place
> in the code.

Yeah, I don't know how to induce such a delay while decoding changes.

One more thing, I think it would be better to expose a new callback
API via reorder buffer as suggested previously [2] similar to other
reorder buffer APIs instead of directly using reorderbuffer API to
invoke plugin API.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/OS3PR01MB6275DFFDAC7A59FA148931529E209%40OS3PR01MB6275.jpnprd01.prod.outlook.com
[2] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1%2BfQjndoBOFUn9Wy0hhm3MLyUWEpcT9O7iuCELktfdBiQ%40mail.gmail.com

--