Re: PQexec() hangs on OOM

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Oleksandr Shulgin <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PQexec() hangs on OOM
Date: 2015-08-29 13:35:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 6:34 PM, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 1:01 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
wrote:
> > On 07/07/2015 09:32 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> >

> > Ok, committed and backpatched the latest patch I posted. Yeah, we'll
need
> > additional patches for the refactoring and the remaining issues. I'm not
> > sure if it's worth trying to backpatch them; let's see how big the
patch is.

> So, here are two patches aimed at fixing the hangling issues with
> getStartCopy and getParamDescriptions. After trying a couple of
> approaches, I found out that the most elegant way to prevent the
> infinite loop in parseInput is to introduce a new PGASYNC flag to
> control the error and let the caller know what happened.

One thing that looks slightly non-elegant about this approach is that
new async status (PGASYNC_FATAL) is used to deal with errors only
in few paths in function pqParseInput3() and not-other paths which should
be okay if there is no other better way. I have not spent enough time on
it to suggest any better alternative, but would like to hear what other
approaches you have considered?

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.