Re: When (and whether) should we improve the chapter on parallel query to accommodate parallel data updates?

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: When (and whether) should we improve the chapter on parallel query to accommodate parallel data updates?
Date: 2021-01-06 08:32:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 12:13 PM tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com
<tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> Second, I expected to see descriptions in "15. Parallel Query" that there are other (recently added) parallel operations such as parallel index build and parallel VACUUM, but I didn't find them. Also, I couldn't find information on parallelism in possible chapters such as "11. Indexes" or "25. Routine Database Maintenance Tasks". Where can users notice that they can parallelize and speed up those operations? Only in reference pages? I think it's better to have those descriptions in the Parallel Query chapter.

I think it is in the respective pages of those operations. Forex. the
information about parallel vacuum can be found in the Vacuum page [1].

> If nobody hasn't started making this kind of modifications, can we deter it after the feature freeze? Or should people involved in developing parallel features cooperate to revise the manual as part of their patches?

I think each feature should develop the docs as part of feature
development but if we want to see some additional work like improving
overall docs for parallel execution as you are suggesting then it can
be done separately as well.

I think you have a valid point but maybe it would be better to do the
improvements you are suggesting once the parallel inserts related work
is committed.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/sql-vacuum.html

--
With Regards,