Re: speed up a logical replica setup

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Shlok Kyal <shlok(dot)kyal(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: speed up a logical replica setup
Date: 2024-04-29 09:56:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 1:47 AM Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2024, at 4:12 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>
> Perhaps I'm missing something, but why is NUM_CONN_ATTEMPTS even needed?
> Why isn't recovery_timeout enough to decide if wait_for_end_recovery()
> waited long enough?
>

> It was an attempt to decoupled a connection failure (that keeps streaming the
> WAL) from recovery timeout. The NUM_CONN_ATTEMPTS guarantees that if the primary
> is gone during the standby recovery process, there is a way to bail out.

I think we don't need to check primary if the WAL corresponding to
consistent_lsn is already present on the standby. Shouldn't we first
check that? Once we ensure that the required WAL is copied, just
checking server_is_in_recovery() should be sufficient. I feel that
will be a direct way of ensuring what is required rather than
indirectly verifying the same (by checking pg_stat_wal_receiver) as we
are doing currently.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.