Re: Proposal : For Auto-Prewarm.

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal : For Auto-Prewarm.
Date: 2017-02-07 06:54:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for the updated patch.
>
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> Here is the new patch which fixes all of above comments, I changed the
>> design a bit now as below
>>
>> What is it?
>> ===========
>> A pair of bgwrokers one which automatically dumps buffer pool's block
>> info at a given interval and another which loads those block into
>> buffer pool when
>> the server restarts.
>

> Are 2 workers required?

I think in the new design there is a provision of launching the worker
dynamically to dump the buffers, so there seems to be a need of
separate workers for loading and dumping the buffers. However, there
is no explanation in the patch or otherwise when and why this needs a
pair of workers. Also, if the dump interval is greater than zero,
then do we really need to separately register a dynamic worker?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.