Re: Parallel copy

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel copy
Date: 2020-10-21 10:21:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 3:19 PM Bharath Rupireddy
<bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> 9. Instead of calling CopyStringToSharedMemory() for each string
> variable, can't we just create a linked list of all the strings that
> need to be copied into shm and call CopyStringToSharedMemory() only
> once? We could avoid 5 function calls?

If we want to avoid different function calls then can't we just store
all these strings in a local structure and use it? That might improve
the other parts of code as well where we are using these as individual
parameters.

> 10. Similar to above comment: can we fill all the required
> cstate->variables inside the function CopyNodeFromSharedMemory() and
> call it only once? In each worker we could save overhead of 5 function
> calls.

Yeah, that makes sense.

--
With Regards,