Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Map basebackup tablespaces using a tablespace_map file

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: hlinnaka <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Map basebackup tablespaces using a tablespace_map file
Date: 2015-05-14 04:12:48
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 2:10 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> How about if we simply abort if we find a non-symlink where we want the
symlink to be, and only remove something that is actually a symlink (or a
junction point, which is more or less the same thing)?

We can do that way and for that I think we need to use rmdir
instead of rmtree in the code being discussed (recovery path),
OTOH we should try to minimize the errors raised during
recovery.

> Then it would be up to the user to recover the situation, by moving or
removing the offending file/directory, and trying again.

Yes, I think as we only create/maintain symlinks in pg_tblspc
for tablespaces, so it seems okay even if we error out when we
find directories instead of symlinks in that path.

I can write a patch for this if you, Heikki and or others think that
is the better way to deal with this case.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.