Re: Logical replication timeout problem

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fabrice Chapuis <fabrice636861(at)gmail(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Logical replication timeout problem
Date: 2023-02-03 04:43:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 1, 2023 at 10:04 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 8:24 PM Ashutosh Bapat
> <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 5:12 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > Because we are changing the exposed structure and which can break
> > > existing extensions using it.
> >
> > Is that because we are adding the new member in the middle of the
> > structure?
> >

> Not only that but this changes the size of the structure and we want
> to avoid that as well in stable branches. See email [1] (you can't
> change the struct size either ...). As per my understanding, our usual
> practice is to not change the exposed structure's size/definition in
> stable branches.

I am planning to push this to HEAD sometime next week (by Wednesday).
To backpatch this, we need to fix it in some non-standard way, like
without introducing a callback which I am not sure is a good idea. If
some other committers vote to get this in back branches with that or
some different idea that can be backpatched then we can do that
separately as well. I don't see this as a must-fix in back branches
because we have a workaround (increase timeout) or users can use the
streaming option (for >=14).

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.