Re: Relation extension scalability

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Relation extension scalability
Date: 2016-03-05 04:49:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 9:59 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 12:06 AM, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:
> > I have tried the approach of group extend,
> >
> > 1. We convert the extension lock to TryLock and if we get the lock then
> > extend by one block.2.
> > 2. If don't get the Lock then use the Group leader concep where only one
> > process will extend for all, Slight change from ProcArrayGroupClear is
that
> > here other than satisfying the requested backend we Add some extra
blocks in
> > FSM, say GroupSize*10.
> > 3. So Actually we can not get exact load but still we have some factor
like
> > group size tell us exactly the contention size and we extend in
multiple of
> > that.
>
> This approach seems good to me, and the performance results look very
> positive. The nice thing about this is that there is not a
> user-configurable knob; the system automatically determines when
> larger extensions are needed, which will mean that real-world users
> are much more likely to benefit from this.

I think one thing which needs more thoughts about this approach is that we
need to maintain some number of slots so that group extend for different
relations can happen in parallel. Do we want to provide simultaneous
extension for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or more number of relations? I think providing
it for three or four relations should be okay as higher the number we want
to provide, bigger the size of PGPROC structure will be.

+GroupExtendRelation(PGPROC *proc, Relation relation, BulkInsertState
bistate)

+{

+ volatile PROC_HDR *procglobal = ProcGlobal;

+ uint32 nextidx;

+ uint32 wakeidx;

+ int extraWaits = -1;

+ BlockNumber targetBlock;

+ int count = 0;

+

+ /* Add ourselves to the list of processes needing a group extend. */

+ proc->groupExtendMember = true;

..

..

+ /* We are the leader. Acquire the lock on behalf of everyone. */

+ LockRelationForExtension(relation, ExclusiveLock);

To provide it for multiple relations, I think you need to advocate the reloid
for relation in each proc and then get the relation descriptor for relation
extension lock.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.