Re: pg_upgrade and logical replication

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade and logical replication
Date: 2023-11-25 12:20:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Nov 25, 2023 at 7:21 AM vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

Few comments on v19:
+ After migration, do this:
+ </para>
+
+ <itemizedlist>
+ <listitem>
+ <para>
+ Enable the subscriptions by executing
+ <link linkend="sql-altersubscription"><command>ALTER
SUBSCRIPTION ... ENABLE</command></link>.

The reason for this restriction is not very clear to me. Is it because
we are using pg_dump for subscription and the existing functionality
is doing it? If so, I think currently even connect is false.

2.
+ * b) SUBREL_STATE_SYNCDONE: A relation upgraded while in this state
+ * would retain the replication origin in certain cases.

I think this is vague. Can we briefly describe cases where the origins
would be retained?

3. I think the cases where the publisher is also upgraded restoring
the origin's LSN is of no use. Currently, I can't see a problem with
restoring stale originLSN in such cases as we won't be able to
distinguish during the upgrade but I think we should document it in
the comments somewhere in the patch.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.