Re: Failed transaction statistics to measure the logical replication progress

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, "tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, "vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com" <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Failed transaction statistics to measure the logical replication progress
Date: 2022-03-24 03:30:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 8:58 AM osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com
<osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

This patch introduces two new subscription statistics columns
(apply_commit_count and apply_rollback_count) to the
pg_stat_subscription_stats view for counting cumulative transactions
commits/rollbacks for a particular subscription. Now, users can
already see the total number of xacts committed/rolled back in a
particular database via pg_stat_database, so this can be considered
duplicate information. OTOH, some users might be interested in the
stats for a subscription to know how many transactions are
successfully applied during replication because the information in
pg_stat_database also includes the operations that happened on the
node.

I am not sure if it is worth adding this additional information or how
useful it will be for users. Does anyone else want to weigh in on
this?

If nobody else sees value in this then I feel it is better to mark
this patch as Returned with feedback or Rejected. We can come back to
it later if we see more demand for this.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.