Re: [BUG] Logical replication failure "ERROR: could not map filenode "base/13237/442428" to relation OID" with catalog modifying txns

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bdrouvot(at)amazon(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "Oh, Mike" <minsoo(at)amazon(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [BUG] Logical replication failure "ERROR: could not map filenode "base/13237/442428" to relation OID" with catalog modifying txns
Date: 2022-07-08 08:59:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 12:46 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 3:27 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >

> > 1.
> > In ReorderBufferGetCatalogChangesXacts(), isn't it better to use the
> > list length of 'catchange_txns' to allocate xids array? If we can do
> > so, then we will save the need to repalloc as well.
>
> Since ReorderBufferGetcatalogChangesXacts() collects all ongoing
> catalog modifying transactions, the length of the array could be
> bigger than the one taken last time. We can start with the previous
> length but I think we cannot remove the need for repalloc.

It is using the list "catchange_txns" to form xid array which
shouldn't change for the duration of
ReorderBufferGetCatalogChangesXacts(). Then the caller frees the xid
array after its use. Next time in
ReorderBufferGetCatalogChangesXacts(), the fresh allocation for xid
array happens, so not sure why repalloc would be required?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.