Re: Vacuum o/p with (full 1, parallel 0) option throwing an error

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, tushar <tushar(dot)ahuja(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Mahendra Singh Thalor <mahi6run(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuum o/p with (full 1, parallel 0) option throwing an error
Date: 2020-04-09 05:35:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 7:07 AM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 08, 2020 at 01:38:54PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > I think the behavior is correct, but the error message could be improved, like:
> > |ERROR: cannot specify FULL with PARALLEL jobs
> > or similar.
>
> Perhaps "cannot use FULL and PARALLEL options together"?

We already have a similar message "cannot specify both PARSER and COPY
options", so I think the current message is fine.

> I think that
> this patch needs tests in sql/vacuum.sql.

We already have one test that is testing an invalid combination of
PARALLEL and FULL option, not sure of adding more on similar lines is
a good idea, but we can do that if it makes sense. What more tests
you have in mind which make sense here?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.