Re: Test-cases for exclusion constraints is missing in alter_table.sql file

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Test-cases for exclusion constraints is missing in alter_table.sql file
Date: 2018-01-20 06:01:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 1:04 PM, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> While working on exclusion constraints for one of our internal
> project, I noticed that there is no test-case for exclusion
> constraints in alter_table.sql file. However, for other constraints i
> could see lots of test-cases in alter_table.sql. There are hardly 1-2
> test-cases for exclusion constraint using ALTER TABLE command (1 in
> constraints.source and 1 for partitioned table in alter_table.sql).
> Shouldn't we consider adding few test-cases for exclusion constraints
> in alter_table.sql considering that we have added lots of test-cases
> for other constraints in this file. Thoughts?

Adding test cases will generally be meaningful if there doesn't exist
any test to cover the specific code your new test wants to cover. I
think before writing/submitting tests, you can once verify if there
already exists some tests which cover the code you want to target with
new tests. You can refer code coverage report
@https://coverage.postgresql.org/ or else you can try to generate a
fresh code coverage report.

--
With Regards,