Re: ERROR: subtransaction logged without previous top-level txn record

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Arseny Sher <a(dot)sher(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "Hsu, John" <hsuchen(at)amazon(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ERROR: subtransaction logged without previous top-level txn record
Date: 2020-02-09 07:27:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 4:29 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 2:34 PM Arseny Sher <a(dot)sher(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> >

> > > What I am trying to get at is if the problem can only occur by using
> > > serialized snapshots and we fix it by somehow not using them initial
> > > slot creation, then ideally we don't need to remove the error in
> > > ReorderBufferAssignChild, but if that is not the case, then we need to
> > > discuss other cases as well.
> >
> > So, 1) and 3) mean this is not the case.
> >

> Right, I am thinking that if we can find some way to skip the xact
> assignment for (1) and (3), then that might be a better fix.

Just to be clear, I am just brainstorming the ideas to see if we can
find some better solutions to the problems (1) and (3) described by
Arseny in the above email [1]. At this stage, it is not clear to me
that we have a fix simple enough to backpatch apart from what Arseny
posted in his fist email [2] (which is to stop demanding that top xact
must be seen before subxact in decoding.).

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/87zhdx76d5.fsf%40ars-thinkpad
[2] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/87ftjifoql.fsf%40ars-thinkpad

--
With Regards,