Re: Broken hint bits (freeze)

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sergey Burladyan <eshkinkot(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dmitriy Sarafannikov <dsarafannikov(at)yandex(dot)ru>, Vladimir Borodin <root(at)simply(dot)name>
Subject: Re: Broken hint bits (freeze)
Date: 2017-06-20 11:31:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 3:40 PM, Sergey Burladyan <eshkinkot(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> [...]

It seems to me at shutdown time on standby servers we specifically
make restart points. See below code in ShutdownXLOG()

..
if (RecoveryInProgress())
CreateRestartPoint(CHECKPOINT_IS_SHUTDOWN | CHECKPOINT_IMMEDIATE);
..

Do you have something else in mind?

>> > Uh, as I understand it the rsync is going to copy the missing WAL file
>> > from the new master to the standby, right, and I think pg_controldata
>> > too, so it should be fine. Have you tested to see if it fails?
>
> It need old WAL files from old version for correct restore heap
> files. New WAL files from new version does not have this information.

So in such a case can we run rsync once before pg_upgrade?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.