Re: Parallel Seq Scan

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Fabrízio Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel Seq Scan
Date: 2015-03-10 06:56:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 3:09 PM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> > I have currently modelled it based on existing rescan for seqscan
> > (ExecReScanSeqScan()) which means it will begin the scan again.
> > Basically if the workers are already started/initialized by previous
> > scan, then re-initialize them (refer function ExecReScanFunnel() in
> > patch).
> >
> > Can you elaborate more if you think current handling is not sufficient
> > for any case?
>
> From ExecReScanFunnel function it seems that the re-scan waits till
> all the workers
> has to be finished to start again the next scan. Are the workers will
> stop the current
> ongoing task? otherwise this may decrease the performance instead of
> improving as i feel.

Okay, performance-wise it might effect such a case, but I think we can
handle it by not calling WaitForParallelWorkersToFinish(),
as DestroyParallelContext() will automatically terminate all the workers.

> I am not sure if it already handled or not, when a worker is waiting
> to pass the results,
> whereas the backend is trying to start the re-scan?

I think stopping/terminating workers should handle such a case.

Thanks for pointing out this case, I will change it in next update.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.