Re: TODO : Allow parallel cores to be used by vacuumdb [ WIP ]

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dilip kumar <dilip(dot)kumar(at)huawei(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jan Lentfer <Jan(dot)Lentfer(at)web(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Sawada Masahiko <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>
Subject: Re: TODO : Allow parallel cores to be used by vacuumdb [ WIP ]
Date: 2014-12-29 04:51:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 4:00 PM, Dilip kumar <dilip(dot)kumar(at)huawei(dot)com> wrote:

> Case1:In Case for CompleteDB:
>
> In base code first it will process all the tables in stage 1 then in
stage2 and so on, so that at some time all the tables are analyzed at least
up to certain stage.

> But If we process all the stages for one table first, and then take the
other table for processing the stage 1, then it may happen that for some
table all the stages are processed,

> but others are waiting for even first stage to be processed, this will
affect the functionality for analyze-in-stages.

> Case2: In case for independent tables like –t “t1” –t “t2”
>
> In base code also currently we are processing all the stages for first
table and processing same for next table and so on.

> I think, if user is giving multiple tables together then his purpose
might be to analyze those tables together stage by stage,
> but in our code we analyze table1 in all stages and then only considering
the next table.

So basically you want to say that currently the processing for
tables with --analyze-in-stages switch is different when the user
executes vacuumdb for whole database versus when it does for
individual tables (multiple tables together). In the proposed patch
the processing for tables will be same for either cases (whole
database or independent tables). I think your point has merit, so
lets proceed with this as it is in your patch.

Do you have anything more to handle in patch or shall I take one
another look and pass it to committer if it is ready for the same.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.