Re: replication_origin and replication_origin_lsn usage on subscriber

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, movead(dot)li(at)highgo(dot)ca, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: replication_origin and replication_origin_lsn usage on subscriber
Date: 2020-07-09 11:10:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 2:40 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> During logical decoding, we send replication_origin and
> replication_origin_lsn when we decode commit. In pgoutput_begin_txn,
> we send values for these two but never used on the subscriber side.
> Though we have provided a function (logicalrep_read_origin) to read
> these two values but that is not used in code anywhere.

For the purpose of decoding in-progress transactions, I think we can
send replication_origin in the first 'start' message as it is present
with each WAL record, however replication_origin_lsn is only logged at
commit time, so can't send it before commit. The
replication_origin_lsn is set by pg_replication_origin_xact_setup()
but it is not clear how and when that function can be used. Do we
really need replication_origin_lsn before we decode the commit record?

Note- I have added few more people which I could see are working in a
similar area to get some response.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.