Re: VACUUM PARALLEL option vs. max_parallel_maintenance_workers

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: VACUUM PARALLEL option vs. max_parallel_maintenance_workers
Date: 2020-09-21 10:20:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 12:45 PM Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 2020-09-21 05:48, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > What according to you should be the behavior here and how will it be
> > better than current?
>
> I think if I write VACUUM (PARALLEL 5), it should use up to 5 workers
> (up to the number of indexes), even if max_parallel_maintenance_workers
> is 2.

So you want it to disregard max_parallel_maintenance_workers but all
parallel operations have to regard one of the max_parallel_* option so
that it can respect max_parallel_workers beyond which the system won't
allow more parallel workers. Now, if we won't respect one of the
max_parallel_* option, it will unnecessarily try to register those
many workers even though it won't be able to start those many workers.
I think it is better to keep the limit for workers for scans and
maintenance operations separately so that the user is allowed to
perform different parallel operations in the system.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.