Re: typos in comments and user docs

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: typos in comments and user docs
Date: 2020-02-07 03:56:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 8:41 AM Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 07, 2020 at 08:33:40AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:

> > > Looks like the whole patch can be applied to master and v12 [0].

I tried your patch master and it failed to apply.
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch; use --binary to disable.)
patching file doc/src/sgml/bloom.sgml
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch; use --binary to disable.)
patching file doc/src/sgml/config.sgml
Hunk #1 FAILED at 4318.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file doc/src/sgml/config.sgml.rej

> > If we decide to backpatch, then why not try to backpatch as far as
> > possible (till 9.5)? If so, then it would be better to separate
> > changes which can be backpatched till 9.5, if that is tedious, then
> > maybe we can just back-patch (in 12) bloom.sgml change as a separate
> > commit and rest commit it in HEAD only. What do you think?
>
> I don't think I was clear. My original doc review patches were limited to
> this:
>
> On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 05:43:33PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > I reviewed docs like this:
> > git log -p remotes/origin/REL_11_STABLE..HEAD -- doc
>

> STABLE..REL_12_STABLE. So after a few minutes earlier today of cherry-pick, I
> concluded that only bloom.sgml is applicable further back than v12. Probably,
> I either noticed that minor issue at the same time as nearby doc changes in
> v12(?), or maybe noticed that issue later, independently of doc review, but
> then tacked it on to the previous commit, for lack of any better place.

I am still not 100% clear, it is better if you can prepare a separate
patch which can be backpatched and the rest that we can apply to HEAD.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.