Re: Time delayed LR (WAS Re: logical replication restrictions)

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com, andres(at)anarazel(dot)de, smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com, shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com, vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com, shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com, osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com, dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com, euler(at)eulerto(dot)com, m(dot)melihmutlu(at)gmail(dot)com, marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time delayed LR (WAS Re: logical replication restrictions)
Date: 2023-02-16 09:16:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 16, 2023 at 2:25 PM Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> At Thu, 16 Feb 2023 06:20:23 +0000, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote in
> > Dear Horiguchi-san,
> >
> > Thank you for responding! Before modifying patches, I want to confirm something
> > you said.
> >
> > > As Amit-K mentioned, we may need to change the name of the option in
> > > this version, since the delay mechanism in this version causes a delay
> > > in sending from publisher than delaying apply on the subscriber side.
> >
> > Right, will be changed.
> >
> > > I'm not sure why output plugin is involved in the delay mechanism. It
> > > appears to me that it would be simpler if the delay occurred in
> > > reorder buffer or logical decoder instead.
> >
> > I'm planning to change, but..
>
> Yeah, I don't think we've made up our minds about which way to go yet,
> so it's a bit too early to work on that.
>
> > > Perhaps what I understand
> > > correctly is that we could delay right before only sending commit
> > > records in this case. If we delay at publisher end, all changes will
> > > be sent at once if !streaming, and otherwise, all changes in a
> > > transaction will be spooled at subscriber end. In any case, apply
> > > worker won't be holding an active transaction unnecessarily.
> >
> > What about parallel case? Latest patch does not reject the combination of parallel
> > streaming mode and delay. If delay is done at commit and subscriber uses an parallel
> > apply worker, it may acquire lock for a long time.
>
> I didn't looked too closely, but my guess is that transactions are
> conveyed in spool files in parallel mode, with each file storing a
> complete transaction.

No, we don't try to collect all the data in files for parallel mode.
Having said that, it doesn't matter because we won't know the time of
the commit (which is used to compute delay) before we encounter the
commit record in WAL. So, I feel for this approach, we can follow what
you said.

> > > Of
> > > course we need add the mechanism to process keep-alive and status
> >
> > Could you share the good way to handle keep-alive and status messages if you have?
> > If we changed to the decoding layer, it is strange to call walsender function
> > directly.
>
> I'm sorry, but I don't have a concrete idea at the moment. When I read
> through the last patch, I missed that WalSndDelay is actually a subset
> of WalSndLoop. Although it can handle keep-alives correctly, I'm not
> sure we can accept that structure..

I think we can use update_progress_txn() for this purpose but note
that we are discussing to change the same in thread [1].

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20230210210423.r26ndnfmuifie4f6%40awork3.anarazel.de

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.