Re: Added schema level support for publication.

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Added schema level support for publication.
Date: 2021-09-14 03:53:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 7:06 PM tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com
<tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> 6.
> I think if I use 'ALTER PUBLICATION ... SET', both the list of tables and the
> list of all tables in schemas should be reset. The publication should only
> contain the tables and all tables in schemas which user specified. If user only
> specified all tables in schema, and didn't specify tables, the tables which used
> to be part of the publication should be dropped, too. But currently, if I didn't
> specify tables, the list of tables wouldn't be set to empty. Thoughts?

I think we can go either way here but it seems like we should drop the
tables in the case you mentioned. The idea is that the SET variant in
ALTER PUBLICATION should replace the set of tables and schemas for the
publication which seems to be in line with the current behavior where
we replace the set of tables.

Anyone else wants to weigh in on this?

--
With Regards,